Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-02-10 8:46PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

lovettsville

i spend most of my time in the area these days, so this is the water i fish

been a slow spring, i know there are some big fish there, as i have caught them in the past, but havnt hit anything over 3 # in 2 years

it has been a minus1 year for me. wind on the water usually means active schools when i can find them.

lucked onto a good pocket of fish the other day. i had downsized to a small grub on 4# line.
reason: 97% of my catch is 14" or less. What fun is towing in dinks on a baitcaster @ 12# line?

so in a 4x4 zone on a windblown point, I start hitting them, most on the drop.
Big bluegills that pull as hard as a 5#'r on heavier tackle, taken almost successively  on a wind enhanced cast-- from across the way.

here come the 8 to 13" bass, then a big warmouth.
I turn 90 degrees and swim the grub along a rocky bank.I catch a few short bass and a punk bluegill.
back to the hotspot and it's on again for a few more casts

the young bass clear the water like cartwheeling acrobats.
The big bluegill put a heavy bend in the light rod, and throb like a sodium headache.

times are good as i have the place to myself.

today a mammoth snapper surfaced like the red october. the head was the size of my fist.
two goslings trail their parents away from my presence. I startle when frogs!! leap off the bank.
A hawk screeches an echo off of short hill.
  All is well as i stare at water i have fished literally a thousand times-yet this pond is not the same.
Each year it is a different body of water that gives away new prizes, and sequesters past victories outside my reach

#2 May-03-10 4:29AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: lovettsville

Nice report...I felt I was there and a couple of lessons to boot!

I have as much fun catching blue gills on light tackle (fly) as just about anything else.

I think the same about Cedar (the only pond I fish).  It changes somehow. Purpleworm and I talked about that last night. The bass bed in different beds at different times...it just goes on and on.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-03-10 5:52AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I felt like I was reading a poem....nice report.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 May-03-10 7:02AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Jeff you are the Ernest Hemingway of Loudoun County big_smile Well done sir.

#5 May-04-10 12:31PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Mon. night....

went over about 7pm

had a blast catching fat bluegills on jigs, light tackle ( my 9' ultralight contraption, 4# line, unless
otherwise noted from now on)

i think these are actually green sunfish,they have that turquoise veiny look about them.

anyway, i got a couple real pigs. i stopped the owner, who was mowing the fields, to show him what beautiful fish he had. he just kind of looked  at it.

some people just don't get it, do they ?
he is a "why do you fish if you dont keep them?" kind of guy. never fishes his own pond.  Can you imagine ?

#6 May-04-10 12:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

bigjeffie wrote:

some people just don't get it, do they ?
he is a "why do you fish if you don't keep them?" kind of guy. never fishes his own pond.  Can you imagine ?

That's why we do what we do...very few folks get it. I have many folks stop and ask my why I throw them back? I always answer "so I can catch them again!". They always walk away perplexed.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer