Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-24-10 3:24PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Mo had a dream! (The Great Yellow Perch Harvest of '10)

Carl and I had been talking about waiting for decent enough weather to go fishing. Between the blizzard, the runoff, and the impending rain/snow we managed to sneak a trip to the Occoquan. We met Dr. Mo at the ramp at about 10am. We launched the boat and Capt. Mo (his title changes when he boards the boat) informed us that last night he had a dream about us catching fish that told him where we were supposed to fish. Being happy enough just to be on the water, Carl and I decided we'd go along with Capt. Mo's clairvoyance.

We rigged up with Silver Buddies (actually they were gold) in 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4oz sizes. Within a few casts Carl hooked up. Turned out to be a BIG shad:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8752/sany0659.jpg

Then I hooked up with my first ever yellow perch:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4910/sany0661.jpg

Then it was Mo's turn:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8831/sany0665.jpg

Then Mo caught a dandy stick-fish that fought like a large perch:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/474/sany0660.jpg

Then we went back and forth catching perch left and right. We had plenty of "doubles" and even had 3 or 4 times when all three of us were hooked up.

One of our doubles:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7538/sany0673.jpg

Then Carl hooked something big. He told Mo and I that we'd better get our lines out of the way so the monstrosity at the end of his line wouldn't get tangled in ours. Then he pulled in two BIG (and greedy) perch that had tried to eat his lure at the same time:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3701/sany0674.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/807/sany0675.jpg

The picture doesn't show it but Mo was landing another perch at the same time...

We continued to catch perch until we had to go. Carl determined that Mo needs to sleep more often so he can have more fish-finding dreams! Talk about a skilled guide!

Almost all of our fish came as we let the lures rest on the bottom.

I think this picture most aptly shows what kind of a day it was:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8940/sany0667.jpg

Total count: 76 perch kept, 30 or so released. Not too shabby for 2.5 hours of fishing.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Feb-24-10 3:32PM)

#2 Feb-24-10 3:57PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Re: Mo had a dream! (The Great Yellow Perch Harvest of '10)

MAN those are some row laden fish! Wish I could have been out there with you guy's looks like an awesome trip and glad to see Carl smiling!

#3 Feb-25-10 2:17AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

Thai - I would be honored to have a fisherman of your stature, in the world of fishing, join us for a repeat of yesterday. The next decent weather forecast seems to be Sunday. Give Dan a call; let's see what we can put together. I'll call Mo.

#4 Feb-25-10 5:41AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

That's amazing! Looked like you guys had a blast! I haven't caught a YP in awhile but I can still remember the fight they're capable of! Love the pix too.

I might have to invest in some silver buddies.....

#5 Feb-25-10 6:13AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Andrew, silver buddies have become one of my favorite lures. They're for lots of species, including bass.

#6 Feb-25-10 6:25AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

just dont get the real "silver buddies" they get very expensive the way they snag up so easily, there's a guy on ebay who makes great blades,5 for $10 vs 3 something for one....

#7 Feb-25-10 6:32AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice report. Looks like fun.
I used to catch yp in lake michigan by the bucket. No offense Carl, but I think they are better tasting then WP

smile

#8 Feb-25-10 6:56AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Thai or Dan, let me know if/when you guys order next. Might throw in for a few.

#9 Feb-25-10 7:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

What a great report....it is nice to finally see a boat on the water too!

The three amigos....all with a BIG smile on their face.

So, now Carl invites Thai to go with him, Mo and Dan. Heck, get Andrew on the boat too!! Sounds to me like what all of my cousins do....load up a boat to catch fish for dinner!

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Feb-25-10 8:25AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Carl wrote:

Thai - I would be honored to have a fisherman of your stature, in the world of fishing, join us for a repeat of yesterday. The next decent weather forecast seems to be Sunday. Give Dan a call; let's see what we can put together. I'll call Mo.

Carl you kill me! fisherman of my stature? Which stature would that be? Short? smile
I would be honored to be able to get out there with you guys! Thank you!

#11 Feb-25-10 9:04AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

What a great report....it is nice to finally see a boat on the water too!

The three amigos....all with a BIG smile on their face.

So, now Carl invites Thai to go with him, Mo and Dan. Heck, get Andrew on the boat too!! Sounds to me like what all of my cousins do....load up a boat to catch fish for dinner!

big_smile

#12 Feb-25-10 5:41PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Carl wrote:

I quit smoking for new year's carl ....

#13 Feb-26-10 3:21AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

Jeffie --- Good for you !! You really don't want to experience the evils of that habit. I did not smoke and you know what I'm going through. Let's go fishing !

#14 Feb-26-10 3:07PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Carl wrote:

Jeffie --- Good for you !! You really don't want to experience the evils of that habit. I did not smoke and you know what I'm going through. Let's go fishing !

Amen my friend

#15 Feb-27-10 2:26AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

I have been slow to post my report on Wednesday's fishing trip because I needed to collect my thoughts. Wednesday was a special day for me. It was my first day of fishing for 2010. I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the yellow perch.

For us old river rats it has always been the signal that a new year of fishing has begun.

Each year, as I venture out, the question of timing is foremost in my thoughts. Are we too early? Has the migration begun? Each of us had a number in our head. I would have been happy if we could have caught three or four fish collectively. Little did I know!

The "Persian Dreamer" knew Exactly where to take us! We could not have asked for a better day! Yellow perch fishing does not get any better than this!

For those of us who love this sport, fishing is a never ending learning experience. I had only brought a few freezer packs, in the cooler, because I really did not have high expectations. As the cooler began to fill, I told the guys, "We need more ice." They supplied a solution. Dan scooped snow from the pier!

This proved to be perfect! When I got home , I began counting the fish; every single fish was still alive and active! Some of them had been out of the water for four and a half hours! The snow must slow their metabolism.

Well, that's my contribution to Dan's  report. Great fishing ---Great crew ---Great day!!

Board footer