Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-07-10 5:36PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

2/7 Eskimo Walk

Mike (Mudkart) and myself decided since it was such great weather out that we would venture out and get our lines wet and guide's frozen. We got to the spot knowing we would have to trek a good half mile or so in the snow to get to our spot. What I didn't realize was that knee deep snow is hard to walk in.....esp when you're 5'4" 120 lbs soaking wet....I was tired...out of breath gasping for air, and the vast amounts of cold air I was sucking in so greedily starting to make me couch up what felt like a lung! That's when I realized were were only halfway there, and just what have I gotten myself into? We eventually made it to the hole and was soon rewarded with that slight tick we all know so well, set the hook, and fish on! Mike managed 16 to shore and lost a few, myself I landed somewhere around 12 bass, a big carp, and snagged a snakehead swimming a blade. She fought with all here might and I was getting nowhere fast trying to horse her in, which maybe I shouldnt have considering I use 10lb yozuri but lesson learned I had her break off but not before grabbing a momento. She bolted towards me and the perch I was roosted on to get leverage and just laid there as if saying hey pest that was uncalled for and I took a snapshot to remember her by.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/thursday011/IMG_0107.jpg

Last edited by Thai (Feb-07-10 7:02PM)

#2 Feb-07-10 6:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 2/7 Eskimo Walk

Like I said before, urban angling at its best. Great work (while I shoveled all day)!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-07-10 7:12PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

RapalaAndy wrote:

Crazy a snake head can live in water that cold. Great picture !

Are you using live bait on one of your lines ?

Nope no live bait, just finesse worms and reaction baits

#4 Feb-07-10 7:37PM

Bud

great picture! 

I've never caught a snakehead.  Do you keep them, throw them back or kill them?

#5 Feb-08-10 5:20AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

C'mon, the walk wasn't that bad.  big_smile No complaints here.  The drive to and fro, however, is another story.  yikes

Andy, that was not a cold water snakehead.  The first fish I caught from this spot I mistook for a hand warmer.  OTOH, you are right, it is surprising that a fish native to SE Asia (?) can flourish in our local winter water temps.  I don't know the natural distribution of the snakehead: maybe there are some in Korea or somewhere the water gets cold.  If so, then it's not that surprising they can adapt to these cold water temps.

I've been doing almost all my catching at this spot w/ DS and shaky head rigs.  The exception would be one fish on an xrap.  Cross tail shads have been a great bait on the DS but you have to wade through (or shake off) the dinks.  Andrew also had a good day w/ the cross tails.  Skinny Bear shad eyes have also been a great DS bait: the larger version helps to filter the dinks.  For shaky, it has been 6" roboworms (straight tail and shaky zipper) and 5" Berkley power shaky worms.

#6 Feb-08-10 6:42AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Dont give away all our secrets Mike! LOL

But since the cat's out of the bag no this is far from cold water fishing...here's a picture to illustrate
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/thursday011/IMG_0092-2.jpg
Yup thats steam rolling off the crystal clear water!

And Mike the NSH isnt a tropical fish it's a subtropical fish native to regions of northern china and russia where temps can and do plummet. Most will bury themselves in the mud and go into a hyperbolic state when temps drop down to their active threshold limit which I believe to be under 55

Last edited by Thai (Feb-08-10 6:44AM)

Board footer