Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-28-10 4:00PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

First Snakehead of the year

Went out to my spot for 2 hours today, ended up banging out 10 bass, 1 nice 1.5lb Crappie, a gold fish, and the first snakehead of the year! Caught her on a 4'6" ultralight rod with 4lb FC line, one hell of a fight let me tell you! At first I though I had tail snagged a carp with the crappie tube I was using but those doubts were soon put to rest when she came torpedoing out of the water, I immediate loosened up on my drag as I knew this fish could easily snap the line. I played with here for a good 8 minutes before my buddy landed her for me, she was dissected and her stomach contents examined, she was also full of eggs! If I had to guesstimate I'll be generous and say she was around 24" and 4lbs

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/thursday011/IMG_0063.jpg

Last edited by Thai (Jan-28-10 4:04PM)

#2 Jan-28-10 4:36PM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: First Snakehead of the year

very cool.
nice pic

smile

#3 Jan-28-10 4:41PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice job Thai!!  cool

Make sure you report that to John Odenkirk, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Biologist (John.Odenkirk AT dgif.virginia.gov).

I hope you had a nice meal too!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jan-28-10 4:45PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Nice job Thai!!  cool

Make sure you report that to John Odenkirk, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Biologist (John.Odenkirk AT dgif.virginia.gov).

I hope you had a nice meal too!

I dont fish for food....lol! Thats nasty! tongue

#5 Jan-28-10 4:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

Thai- John Odenkirk tells me that SH is good eating! Anyway, he would be interested to know what you saw when you dissected it.

#6 Jan-28-10 4:55PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Oh I've tasted SH before, its a nice solid meat that doesnt flake so it's excellent for grilling...I just dont make a habit out of it.

It's contents were empty besides some grass and wood probably accidntaly eaten during its last meal. but she did have a full egg sac

Last edited by Thai (Jan-28-10 4:56PM)

#7 Jan-28-10 4:57PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Nice.

I used 4# berkley FC on one of my spining outfits the past year.  That can keep you on your toes w/ drag settings.  I forgot to back off the drag once and snapped the line on a hookset.

#8 Jan-28-10 6:10PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

i've still got a few fillets in the freezer from the last one Thai's friend caught. It's pretty good with a coating of bisquick!

I don't think I would eat fish from where you were Thai.

Ernie, it was my understanding that the VDGIF no longer wants to be notified of each catch. A friend of mine said the last time he called to report one they told him not to call back anymore. Although that was the VDGIF, not John personally.

#9 Jan-28-10 6:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

DD- John Odenkirk always wants to know about these catches. Since you guys are starting to catch them more regularly, he will want to know. He continues to study them and is most interested on the catches. As a matter of fact, he looked in on this post and had this to say in an email to me: "The first I have heard of anyone catching NSH in the dead of winter not in a treatment outfall.  I take it his "spot" was not thermally enriched?"

He also knows more about NSH than anyone around here. he knows where they are, where they live, how they behave......he will appreciate any info you guys give him.

So....without giving too much away publicly, Thai may want clarify if this was a cold water NSH.....he could have caught a rarity!!

Board footer