Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-11-09 5:57PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Cedar Report - 061109

I finally got out for a bit after what has been a demanding work week. All of my GOOD luck came on a jig. All of my BAD luck came on a frog. I lost another monster today. I don't even want to talk about it......

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#2 Jun-12-09 12:54AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Cedar Report - 061109

last year i did well on frog hook-ups

this year i am missing 90% of strikes

like ernie said, maybe they are short ones that cant eat the bait

i had two solid hits i missed yesterday

one suprised me and i set too fast

the other i teased out of a slop mat, and i mean teased: twitching in place, the fish finally snap sucked that critter right in front of me.

my hook set broke the line..................

going to fish tidal bass 2day !! Occoquan: Wooooo-Hooooooo !!!

#3 Jun-12-09 4:18AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Charlie Taylor said to not even watch the frog so you do not set the hook to fast.  Just listen for the splash and then set the hook.  I believe I am saying it as he did....

#4 Jun-12-09 5:35AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

This was a Spro frog with the v'hook. The frog was taken underwater, the fish swam off with it, I set the hook, the fish was fighting, and I came up with clump of grass and no bass. Another wide bodied 4lb+ fish.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#5 Jun-12-09 8:05AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

What line are you using?

Missing hooksets is just part of frog fishing. The way a soft bodied frog is constructed leads to a higher than average missed hook up percentage.

#6 Jun-12-09 9:11AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Charlie Taylor said to not even watch the frog so you do not set the hook to fast.  Just listen for the splash and then set the hook.  I believe I am saying it as he did....

You should wait till you "feel" pressure. Many times they miss the frog and not looking could end pretty ugly if you set the hook hard O_o

Missing fish is part of frog fishing. Frustrating but still fun! I use braid since I fish frogs in slop, weeds, or lillies and its nice to know I can rip them through. Plus with braid, there's no stretch so a solid hookset is gauranteeeed (kinda).

#7 Jun-12-09 8:57PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

While you're on the topic, does anyone have good tips on getting those hollow frogs to walk the dog? I'm just getting into frogging and am having some trouble getting those puppies to walk back and forth like a zara spook. I've experimented with braid and adding split rings, etc. but more often than not, it just ends up scooting straight across the water. I've tried spro bronzeyes & snagproof perfects with limited success, was thinking about maybe adding some weight to the rear of the bait. I've seen Dean Rojas walk the frog like a champ on bassmasters so I know it can be done...any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#8 Jun-12-09 10:56PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I've heard if you trim the strands on ONE of the legs it can help but I am still having problems getting them to walk also. Most of the time I am fishing them in heavy matted grass or lily pads so it is still effective to just "scoot" them across matted vegetation. Let me know if you find any tips that help.

Board footer