Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-04-09 6:36PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Fishing in the rain

I had a meeting cancel this afternoon so I decided to go play out in the rain for a bit. This past winter I bought a new crankbait rod and had yet to catch a fish with it. Well on the 3rd or 4th cast with a deep running Norman DD22 I hooked up. It felt like a good fish so I took my time with it. When it got to the surface I had to do a double take. There were 2 fish on the plug. The 5lber in the pic below I got to the net and the other which was not a whole lot smaller came off 5 feet from the boat. I had one more about 3 lbs on a brush hog and another on the crankbait about 2.5 lb. While the fishing wasn't fast and furious, I love fishing in the rain when the wind isn't blowing.

If I would have gotten them both to the net would it count as a 9 lber? wink

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/pnajdzin2/IMG_3326a.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/pnajdzin2/IMG_3328a.jpg

#2 Jun-04-09 8:09PM

gatorchomp93

Re: Fishing in the rain

how do you fish the brush hog i haven't had much success fishing with it, nor have i had much confidence.

#3 Jun-05-09 1:35AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Yeah Paul, way to catch em! smile

#4 Jun-05-09 3:38AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

gatorchomp93 wrote:

how do you fish the brush hog i haven't had much success fishing with it, nor have i had much confidence.

you can fish the brush hog like a plastic worm.

rig it texas or carolina

or even use a finesse hook, right through the nose, and throw it weightless, or with a splitshot a foot above.

i like a brushhog for a jig trailer. bite it in half .

this bait will work well for you, but it takes time to develop technique and confidence.

i used to throw them them alot, but i have wandered into other methods this year.

#5 Jun-05-09 5:08AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

bigjeffie wrote:

gatorchomp93 wrote:

you can fish the brush hog like a plastic worm.

rig it texas or carolina

or even use a finesse hook, right through the nose, and throw it weightless, or with a splitshot a foot above.

i like a brushhog for a jig trailer. bite it in half .

this bait will work well for you, but it takes time to develop technique and confidence.

i used to throw them them alot, but i have wandered into other methods this year.

or flipping them with a jig head.

Nice fish Paul!

Last edited by AndrewDo124 (Jun-05-09 5:08AM)

#6 Jun-05-09 5:27AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

gatorchomp93 wrote:

The advise given already is right on. I tried them on and off several times and had little confidence as well until last year. I texas rig them with a 4/0 or 5/0 hook. For me the difference was going to a lighter weight. I only use a 1/8 oz bullet weight and allow the bait to sink slowly. I think the slow fall after a lift allows all the arms and legs do their work as opposed to just dragging it along the bottom. I'm a big believer in the bait now and it's my go to even ahead of a jig and craw combination. Although after yesterday, I may start doing a lot more deep crankin'.

#7 Jun-05-09 5:39AM

Ernie
Administrator

Very nice Paul....nice pose too!

Time to go fishin' again!

#8 Jun-05-09 9:08AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

awesome paul!  Catching em by the twos, just like Timmy Horton.

#9 Jun-05-09 10:39AM

Eweezy

Nice work in the rain Paul.  Your hard work on the beaver payed off.

Board footer