Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-22-09 10:08PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

New to fly-fishing. HELP!

I got a new St. Croix Reign 5wt Fly rod for Christmas. I went to Orvis and picked up some 5wt weight forward floating line (BTW-SHEESH! that stuff is expensive!). I got a cheap-o reel from Bass Pro Shop (I had a gift card but I still didn't want to spend a whole lot until I know I want to really get into fly-fishing) and I also picked up some 8lb test leader material. I plan to use this setup for smallmouth bass, panfish, and occasionally trout.

I still have a few questions.

1) Do I need backing? If so, what should I look for?

2) Do I need tippet? What is the purpose of using a tippet?

3) What sort of knots do I need for: a) tying the backing or line to the reel b) tying the line to the leader c) tying the leader to a tippet if necessary and d) tying the tippet or leader to the fly?

4) Does anyone have any favorite flies for smallmouth? I am pretty close to Murray's Fly Shop in Edinburg, VA and I wanted to pick up a few flies the next time I'm on my way home from school.

Sorry for all the questions but I just have no idea where to start. I took a Fly Fishing science course at JMU last semester but we learned more about trout behavior and habitat than gear selection so I'm still pretty lost.

#2 Jan-23-09 5:03AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: New to fly-fishing. HELP!

I just got a St. Croix 6wt and went through all of the same questions.  Look under the upcoming events thread for BRHS Fishing Club if you want to see a lot of info on fly fishing before they answer your questions.  Pacemaker and L1Ranger should be really helpful.  I was also told to go to the fly fishing shows in February, which are listed in the seminars thread.

Board footer