Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-09-09 5:18AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Florida Gators

Florida beat Oklahoma 24-14 to win its second BCS title in three years(should we also talk about basketball?!?!?!?).

FLORIDA GATORS...NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Gators!!!!!!!

#2 Jan-09-09 7:55AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Florida Gators

Wait.....Utah beat three BCS teams  (including the team that beat USC) and was the only team to finish UNDEFEATED!

Texas beats Oklahoma and only loses to TT which was #7 in the BCS.

Florida loses to Ole Miss which is # 25 in the BCS.

I smell a rat.....a tournament is needed to crown the REAL champs! No way FL can claim #1!

They did play well....but so did other teams.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-09-09 9:51AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

You are going to lose this battle Ernie.

There is one key piece of the story...in back to back games, the Florida Gators defeated the #1 ranked team in the country on a neutral field. Beat the #1 team TWICE. That is more than enough!

Go Gators!

Nice posting Charlie.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Jan-09-09 11:10AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

CozUF2001 wrote:

There is one key piece of the story...in back to back games, the Florida Gators defeated the #1 ranked team in the country on a neutral field. Beat the #1 team TWICE. That is more than enough!

Go Gators!

Agreed!  No one chooses to look at this part.

#5 Jan-09-09 12:00PM

Ernie
Administrator

CozUF2001 wrote:

Go Gators!

Nice posting Charlie.

They are 13-1 which means they LOST a game....to a barely ranked team....that negates one of their big wins!!

Utah is UNDEFEATED.

A playoff system is needed....just like in every major sport at the college and pro level.

No one is taking away FL's accomplishments...they did good....but there are questions. If you win a playoff, there are NO questions....you are the champ and everyone else goes home and tries again next year.

Is TT coming back?

#6 Jan-09-09 12:22PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Utah may be undefeated, but look at there scores against good teams compared to ours.  Utah did not beat the #1 team.  The statistics are used to calculate ranks and Florida had been close to the top almost all season!  Tim Tebow has not made a statement yet.  I hope he comes back so that we can win again, but there is a good chance that he will not.

#7 Jan-09-09 12:47PM

Ernie
Administrator

We can argue until blue in the face. FL (nor most other teams in the past) are not true champs. They did not win out. A champ beats all comers until there is only one left standing. It's a shame that this is the way it is. FL beat 'bama....and so did Utah....by almost the same score.

The fact that this discussion is going on shows the imperfection of the BCS. It is what it is but if I am champ, I want there to be no questions that I am the champ!

#8 Jan-09-09 1:04PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,

Just curious, did you go to Utah? I think both UT and FL are great teams. I would LOVE to see a March Madness type of playoff system like we have with college basketball. That would certainly be exciting!

#9 Jan-09-09 1:16PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

I was wondering the same thing Khanh.  And by the way...they new the way they were going to be ranked at the start of the year.  That is why most coaches do not care what way it is done as long as they are told at the beginning of the year.  So it is what it is..the Gators won the championship!!! and they were crowned champions!!!!!!!!!!

Go GATORS!!!

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Jan-09-09 1:16PM)

#10 Jan-09-09 1:31PM

Ernie
Administrator

I did not go to Utah...just trying to be fair about the deal. Regardless of what the rules were in the beginning, it's still subject to objectivity...coaches voting. You think there is any bias? As Khahn said, a January Madness deal would be spectacular. Not taking anything from FL.

#11 Jan-11-09 11:58AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Thought I would let you know that I just got a call from friends in Gainesville that just got back from the celebration that was at Gator the stadium, and Tim Tebow announced today that he will be back to win another championship next year!

GO GATORS!!

#12 Jan-11-09 1:06PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice....he's a good guy and one incredible player! My Goddaughter goes to FL so I always hear about FL....not just from you guys!

#13 Jan-11-09 3:55PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Tim Tebow doesn't go fishing, the fish go Tim Tebowing!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

Board footer