Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-09-06 10:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

10-9-06, Potomac River fishing report

Both Curly and I were off on Columbus Day so we decided to fish for a 1/2 day. We were on the water before the sun was up and we headed over to the Washington Cannel where we had heard reports of keeper stripers.

We began fishing top water and we only had one hit between the two of us in 45 minutes. So we went to the jigs as we fished the drop-off near Ft. McNair. I would be rewarded with a very nice 3 lb. 14 oz. largemouth bass that now makes his home on Cedar Lake in Ashburn VA. We will send the USPS a Move of Address later.

A few minutes later, Curly got a big hit and he landed a 2 pound channel catfish. Both skunks were off so we started fishing even harder. we jigged and threw crankbaits until 9:30 AM and then we decided we needed to locate some fish so we started trolling rebel broken backs which is Curly's (and mine) favorite trolling lure. Sure enough, on our 1st pass, we both got hits and landed both fish. One was a 19.5" keeper. A few minutes later, Curly landed another striper but he was too small to keep.

The fishing went dead at high tide (10:30) so we decided to fish the bridge pillings on the main stem of the river.

We made many a cast but no fish. But just as we were getting ready to head home, Curly got a huge hit and he set the hook. The monster fish said "no way" and held his ground as Curly's rod snapped in two. The fish got off but we had a nice laugh…..good thing it was a cheap rod. I bet Curly is at Dick's right now replacing the old rod.

Overall, not a bad morning; 1 channel cat, 1 lg mouth bass and 3 stripers.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer