Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-06-24 4:59AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Forward facing sonar

I talked about this when it came out. Bass world has two divided groups now. One that thinks it should be banned from tourney"s and the other that embrace it.
They did the same thing when paper graph came out and then side scan too.
I watch a ton of live tourney's and I am so ready to drop the 2.5k for it. But I am thinking if I hold out for one more season it will be a better product. Leaps and bounds from version 1 to 2 BTW.
Any opinions?

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Mar-06-24 5:19AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Forward facing sonar

I think this is a great discussion mike.  I've been watching folks use it and doing reviews on it also.  But is this that realtime sonar?  If it is, I think that the technology is pretty cool with realtime views (I believe they call it livescope or maybe that's a trademark) like what an ice fishing flasher does with light indications. 
But the price and what you get in return....I'm not too sure about.  I'm also not sure it matters in tourneys because someone with a good knowledge of how fish finders work pick up on the slightest of markers.  I'm always amazed at how many fish finders people have on their setups and if they really get any value out of them.
I think it honestly depends on your fishing needs right?  I wouldn't think it would be helpful in shallows...or is it?  I have to go do some research now.
side note:
Remember when the CD player first came out?  A single cd player cost around $1k and then in the next 2 years it came down to $300 and could hold multiple cds.  Technology is that way it seems.

#3 Mar-06-24 6:56AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Lowrance calls theirs Active Target. I have the full setup still in the box ready to install, and can't wait for it to show me some Hickories in April. Watching the pros on MLF point out a fish 75' off the bow, then cast and see the lure drop on the fish is all the incentive I needed. Pretty cool to see the fish turn to the lure, then grab it doesn't hurt either.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#4 Mar-06-24 7:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

I mentioned this before after I used it for the 1st time with Jason Ford on the 'doah. It was mesmerizing but I found myself looking at the screen all of the time. Like a video game.

Recently, "Rookie Yamaha pro angler Trey McKinney (19 years old) won the Bassmaster Elite on Lake Fork with a four-day total of 130 pounds, 15 ounces – the fourth highest weight ever caught during an elite tournament." That is just ridiculous!

Locally, Matt McCluskey (former member of BRHS Fishing Club) has demonstrated how efficient and successful he is by using the technology. In a recent podcast, he mentioned that he can recognize the size of the fish interested in his offering and will actually move the bait away if the right fish is on it.

The young guys, in my very humble opinion, have mastered the technology.

I think that this technology is better for deeper water.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Mar-06-24 8:52AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Scott Martin set a record on Okeechobee using it in shallow water for spawning/pre-spawning fish.  I will likely not buy it, but it is amazing technology.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 Mar-07-24 10:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

Soon...

https://i.imgur.com/CUDpBBI.jpeg

#7 Mar-07-24 10:39AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Just like in the new cars.  No wonder there are so many accidents.  Or just get the virtual reality headset and immerse yourself.

#8 Mar-07-24 10:51AM

Ernie
Administrator

drxfish wrote:

Just like in the new cars.  f.

New cars have FFS?

#9 Mar-07-24 12:33PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

All the screens, but maybe? roll

#10 Mar-11-24 11:48AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm torn on it. I would prefer to never use it because like Ernie mentioned I think I would spend all day looking at a screen, which pretty much defeats the point of being outdoors. I absolutely love sight fishing and watching fish respond to my lures. FFS is basically sight fishing. I know I'd be glued to that stupid screen. Blah.

On the other hand, I don't want to be the only one without it. I don't want to be watching everyone else easily picking off fish that i didn't even know were there. I think within a few years, FFS will be considered standard rigging on every fishing boat, the same way depthfinders are now. I don't see myself getting it anytime soon, but I'm pretty sure one day the temptation will be irresistible.

tight lines

#11 Mar-12-24 4:50AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Bryan wrote:

I'm torn on it. I would prefer to never use it because like Ernie mentioned I think I would spend all day looking at a screen, which pretty much defeats the point of being outdoors. I absolutely love sight fishing and watching fish respond to my lures. FFS is basically sight fishing. I know I'd be glued to that stupid screen. Blah.

On the other hand, I don't want to be the only one without it. I don't want to be watching everyone else easily picking off fish that i didn't even know were there. I think within a few years, FFS will be considered standard rigging on every fishing boat, the same way depthfinders are now. I don't see myself getting it anytime soon, but I'm pretty sure one day the temptation will be irresistible.

And...maybe in the future like when the first CD player came out and cost 1k, the cost of these will come down too!  Pretty neat system for sure!

#12 Mar-12-24 12:24PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

And...maybe in the future like when the first CD player came out and cost 1k, the cost of these will come down too!  Pretty neat system for sure!

Exactly. Speaking of which, both the Garmin and Minn Kota live transducers are $500 off at BPS right now if anyone is interested.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin- … cer-system

tight lines

#13 Mar-13-24 4:57AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Bryan wrote:

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Exactly. Speaking of which, both the Garmin and Minn Kota live transducers are $500 off at BPS right now if anyone is interested.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin- … cer-system

Cool.  If I was to get one it would be for my kayak since I don't fish off the boat much.  I'm thinking of a setup like a trolling motor for the bow.  Not a trolling motor, but a simple lighweight setup that drops into the water.  Not all of us want a motorized kayak!  These youtubers don't understand that.

#14 Mar-22-24 5:14PM

Ernie
Administrator

Well...getting there!

https://i.imgur.com/gE0qo26.jpeg

#15 Mar-23-24 6:13AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Bryan wrote:

I don't want to be watching everyone else easily picking off fish that .

imho they  take the skill out of fishing.  The thrill of the hunt. 

Amazing what people spend to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea

#16 Mar-23-24 3:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

Side scan is an amazing tool when looking for schools of fish in the bay. FFS will add to that. Working birds, especially gannets, are a better tool.

I still contend that this is a bonus for deeper water and it's used that way almost exclusively. The flip side is if one is looking for structure (stumps, rubble etc) in shallower water.

But what do I know...

#17 Mar-27-24 8:20AM

Ernie
Administrator

I get it. All the pros have embraced FFS. Even Scott Martin.

Just read where the average age of the last 4-5 big tourney winners is 27 tears old. Tech savvy for sure.

But...the winning bait of the recent Bassmasters extravaganza was...

https://i.imgur.com/rfnIbeL.jpeg

...old school ball jig and soft swim bait.

#18 Mar-27-24 10:33AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

All the big screens on bass boats are becoming a safety issue due to limiting visibility for the driver. They're now mounting cameras on the bow so the driver can see where he's going...on a screen. There was a boat displayed at the Classic with that setup for the bargain price of $189k.

tight lines

#19 Mar-28-24 9:50PM

pier_man0909

oh boy thats a can of worms you have just opened.  just like politics that topic has created so much division lately.  let me start by saying this.  I have livescope and I absolutely love it.  just like everything there are pros and cons.  for myself, I am confident it makes me a better fisherman in multiple ways.  it is really cool to watch a fish eat your bait but it helps me to determine productive or non productive water and it helps me make to make quicker adjustments which helps me be more efficient.  but the most important way it helps me is by helping me to learn fish behavior.  I dont know how anyone can contest that but there are some die hard anti forward facing sonar people that do.  that being said, it is very easy to get drawn into it to where it becomes an inhibitor.  a lot of its strengths and weaknesses will depend on how you use it.  There are numerous anti forward facing sonar talking points and every single one to me in contestable with an (imo) winning counter argument.  the bottom line is that I dont think there really is a  one size fits all right answer.  fishing means different things to different people so the answer can always be different from person to person.  it really donesnt cost all that much either.  i dont know if I think any new advancements will be made with it by next season so assuming you already have a compatible graph, you can pick up a ffs system for $999 from bass pro and other vendors.  bass pro even has club member discount days pretty frequently where they offer 10% off.  you can get a garmin 10" unit AND livescope for $1800 if you get it on one of those sale days.  you can get a 9" screen for about $300 cheaper and you can get a 12" screen for about $500 more.  go ahead and give it a whirl.  be prepared to have some incredibly enjoyable days because it will blow your mind what you can learn and do with it.   on the flip side be prepared to have some incredibly frustrating days because contrary to the belief a lot of people have, it does not make fish bite and you can look at hundreds of fish that will ignore everything you throw at them.

#20 Mar-29-24 2:08PM

Ernie
Administrator

Great post Matt!

I think the "controversy" is mostly around LMB tourneys.

For folks looking for fish in the salt, this is a great tool as you mentioned. Lots to learn about fish behavior.

#21 Mar-29-24 3:30PM

pier_man0909

I dont think its even limited to saltwater.  even bass fishermen can benefit a lot from it.  I also think the only reason its such a polarizing issue is social media.  everyone has to have a for or against argument and opinions on it.  both Rick Clunn and KVD love it.  they both as well as other old school pros say that they dont perfom well with it but that it has taught them a ton.  not only has it taught them a lot, but it shows them that a lot of what they thought they knew was flat out wrong.  Rick said that about 40% (I think) of what he knew was incorrect.  now while I dont agree with it, I can understand the controversy around tournaments.  to many it does get boring to watch people using and lately it has played a very big roll but I think it can be a good thing. a lot of people complain when the people fishing more traditionally dont have as much success.  Fishermen are some of the most superstitious and stubborn people there are.  when we believe in something or think we have something that works there is often no telling us otherwise.  referencing what clunn and kvd saying with so much of what they thought they knew was not true, I would imagine that statement is true across the board whether people want to believe it or not.  so here we potentially have one group working on some or a lot of bad information trying to push out another group that has technology that shows that some or a lot of that other groups information is incorrect.  why should we be pushing out the group that has the correct information?  compared to what ffs can show you old school fishing is more or less dumb luck.  flip on some docks and fish might be there or not.  they might like that color or not, they might like your presentation or not, you might be retrieving it in the wrong depth, etc.  when you are having major tournaments with a bunch of money and pride on the line do we really want to base the winner on dumb luck?  or do you want the better catcher win?  the guy that chased a fish and made several casts on a fish and watched it follow his bait and turn away numerous times until he adapted his presentation to a way that that particular fish wanted.  or the guy who was able to play cat and mouse with a school of bass and got a bite from fish by bringing out the competitive nature in the fish to compete against each other for his lure.  people knock the people using ffs and say crap like they cant fish any other way which in some rare cases may be true but that is a very insulting general blanket to throw over the younger generation, some of which are absolute powerhouses.   I understand the frustration people have with ffs but at the same time I absolutely dont think it should be banned and I dont know how to stop it from dominating while allowing it.  its just that weird place to be in the middle of an industry disruption.  often times when an industry gets disrupted by tech things are better on the other side but the road there can be quite challenging.  if what we want really is the more developed and well rounded anglers maybe they should allow it but change the way they score where its to where people need to catch with it and catch without it to have the best score.  im not sure how to achieve that but I think that is the direction we need to go to get the anglers with the most skill.

#22 Mar-29-24 3:39PM

Ernie
Administrator

More great points!

I've watched Matt McCluskey and Tyler Folts bring in HUGE bags at "O" Reservoir. They know how to use it and it pays off. As I mentioned before, I used it in slightly deeper (for me) water on the 'doah and it was fascinating. But like you said, just because you see 'em doesn't mean they will bite.

I fish very shallow on the 'mac. My fear is destroying the transducer as I have destroyed one TM unit already.

I would love to see what is lurking in some of the deeper holes that we sometimes bypass.

#23 Mar-29-24 4:06PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

...old school ball jig and soft swim bait.

Luv the non-painted jig head.  Saves allot of time making and the fish like it

#24 Mar-29-24 7:06PM

pier_man0909

isnt it funny how evolution has come full circle?  people all the sudden just killing it on baits and lures that have been out for years as if they are some new black magic.  learning how to use it and knowing when to use it are just as important as the other.  it really is amazing seeing how some people are using it.  one thing I really like about it is the perspective of structure it gives you.  at least for me I can visualize much better how a tree or other structure is oriented on the bottom which helps me figure out how I want to present a bait even if I dont see fish on it.  I can definately attribute a lot of my catches to it when I use it but at the same time that doesnt mean I catch more or bigger fish because of it.  i have days I get outfished when im the only one using livescope just like before I had it I had days I was high hook when others had it.  its hard to say how the results would be different sometimes but when I have it I just fish different.  I have mine on a pole mount on a ram ball thats very easy to use.  I dont have a troling motor on my kayak but even if I did I would much prefer the pole mount anyways.  I like having visual autonomy to point my transducer anywhere I want rather than only where the trolling motor is pointed.

Board footer