Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-27-24 6:06AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

Afternoon float

With 3 days is 60° out, new. I had to hit the river for some smallmouth action. Ended up going yesterday afternoon because of the wind forecast for today and tomorrow. A friend from work met me at at 12:30 for a shorter float. However, the fishing was it's tougher than I thought it was going to be even with the water. A great color and river level at 3 ft on the gauge.

We hit two know winter areas with variety of lures between the two of us without getting any hits at all. Whether it was dragging the bottom or even throwing a jerk bait, just couldn't get anything to bite. Then with about a mile left upstream of the last winter hole, both of us managed to avoid the skunk. A friend yelled out. He had one and said it was a good one and turned out to be one that went right at 19 in. He caught it on a net rig I believe. About 5 minutes later. I landed one about 15 in on a stand-up jig head and street meadow photos started using this winter. We tried that last winter area and to get anything else.

But we avoided the skunk, wasn't working, and enjoyed a really nice afternoon on the water. Here's his 19.
https://images2.imgbox.com/26/1b/rvgSVAqz_o.jpg

#2 Feb-27-24 6:53AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Afternoon float

Nice!  It's cool to see you guys getting out there.  I don't get my new yak until this weekend I think, so hopefully I'll add to the list of fish caught!  It's always good to get the skunk off and it's always better to be fishing than working.

#3 Feb-27-24 7:43AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Great to see!  I tried from shore for an hour or so before sunset, but nada.  This is a great time, before the masses come out on the water.  Congrats on February smallies!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Feb-27-24 3:52PM

Ernie
Administrator

Fish on!

Water at POR is still pretty cold (44dF). It's 2dF less than last year at this time.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Feb-27-24 4:05PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice stats, coach!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 Feb-28-24 4:41AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

According to the stick your finger in the water test, the river is still cold 😂😂😂

#7 Feb-28-24 6:19AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Oubassman wrote:

According to the stick your finger in the water test, the river is still cold 😂😂😂

Now that's funny!

#8 Mar-08-24 7:01AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

That's how I check the temps.  If the finger burns, it's cold.  I can usually tell the temp within a 5dF interval

Board footer