Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-24-08 6:40PM

rit.05

9/24 Occoquan Res..Not much of a report

My first trip out in the new Hobie. I was just trying to get used to it, more so than fishing, but I had to take a rod.

Having never been out on a kayak before, it was fun. I am in love with the pedal drive for hands free fishing. Just momentary adjustments to the rudder. I was suprised how stable it is and how comfortable I was reaching back for bait and moving around in the "cockpit".

It was very windy, but no issues moving around. I threw the cast net at the dock to see what was around. I got a bream and some shad. The shad were not expected, but after all the Potomac fishing I've been doing, I know they make good cat bait.

I threw some metal for bass, but didn't find any. I drowned the shad and bream for some flatheads and skunked on them too. I found some places where I know monster flathead are roaming, just need time to wait them out.

Right when I had to leave (4pm), I saw some bait spooking back in a big shallow cove. If I didn't have a bunch of high schoolers waiting for me at youth group....oh well, maybe next time.

Any Occoquan experience around here? Are there hybrid stripers or muskie in the resevoir? I need some bass lessons. The only bass I know how to catch are stripers.

#2 Sep-24-08 6:54PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: 9/24 Occoquan Res..Not much of a report

My best recommendation to any angler who wants to learn how to catch largemouth bass is to start with a texas rig. If you are not familiar with it, it is quite simple. Start by sliding a bullet weight (narrow side up) down your line before you tie on an off-shank hook (try Gamakatsu brand). A good bullet weight size is 3/16 where you get enough weight to cast your lure a decent distance, but not too much weight that you feel too much on the bottom of the lake (that could be mistaken for a fish bite). Take a plastic worm (that's right, no live bait here) and slide the hook through the top of the worm head about 1/2 cm deep and then poke the hook through the worm. Slide the worm head all the way on top of the shank of the hook. Take the hook and poke it through the worm so the worm head is aligned with the body of the worm and the hook is exposed. Then take the worm and slightly insert the worm so as to cover the hook's tip. This should result in a very straight line for the worm on the hook. With the hook hidden, this is a weedless presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpndQeBhnU

This bait will absolutely catch fish. There is something in a fish's DNA that makes it love worms. You will find yourself catching a variety of species including largemouth. Use a color that mimics the local forage or food source. Good colors for me include watermelon, pumpkinseed, and chartreuse if the water is slightly stained to clear or darker colors like junebug, purple, or black with blue flek for muddy or heavily stained water. Be patient with your casts and twitch the rod tip every 5-10 seconds as you slowly retrieve your lure.

Tight lines!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#3 Sep-25-08 7:48AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 9/24 Occoquan Res..Not much of a report

Dan,

Glad you got out!

Another easy tactic is what's called "whack worm". You need Senko or Case 4-5" worms (really looks like a stick) and hook through the middle with a 2/0 hook. This is for shallower water (<5-6') but if you wait it will sink. Sometimes I don't move it...you will see and feel the pick up and simply set the hook.

Down where you were, there are stripers and well as a few other species. If you see bait breaking, throw a crank bait or top water bait to see what may take it.

Check out this page: http://www.pacemakerfishing.com/forum/v … 20&p=3
there are a few tecniques explained.

Good luck!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer